Responsibilities of the department
The Human Resources (HR) Department develops initiatives and provides strategic support to CERN Management with regard to human resources policy. It supports line management in the departments, performs centralised service tasks, and ensures CERN-wide application of operational human resources activities.
Main areas of responsibility include manpower planning, organisational development, employment and association conditions, recruitment, job classification and salary administration, performance appraisal, advancement, internal mobility, training and development, social services, social security, working conditions, settlement of disputes and relations with the personnel.
Guiding principles for the department
Some guiding principles for the activities of the department:
- From the perspective that top-quality staff is CERN’s main
HR Department aims to develop a modern, effective and transparent human resources policy, in accordance with CERN’s strategic objectives.
- HR Department has a central role in matching jobs and individuals; the quality of the match influences job performance, productivity and employee satisfaction.
- Day-to-day human resources management is the responsibility of department heads and group leaders; HR Department has a support role.
- HR Department also has a role in staff and management development, in collaboration with the divisions and staff.
- Key words for the operations of HR Department are professionalism, reliability and client focus.